Ford Recall 2004/05 V6 24 Valve Engines

July 17,2008

Subject: A CPO (Certified Pre-Owned) 2004 Taurus Ford

How do I start telling about somewhat of a problem vehicle I bought in April 2005, a 2004 Taurus Ford V6 24-valve DOC (Double Overhead Cam) engine. I have now owned this car just over 3 years, putting 35,000 miles on it. But let me tell you the bigger story.

The car was beautiful when I bought it, paying $13,995 for a 9 month old car with 18,100 miles. It was pristine in appearance, looked just like the $21,000-$22,000 brand new ones sitting on the lot. It appeared to have owned by someone who took good care of it, garage kept, beautiful throughout.

I only had one early problem, and that was sensors giving me erratic alarms from time to time that I addressed with the dealer. They checked everything, reset the on-board computer and everything worked great. Still no big problem until maybe a month later, I noticed some transmission fluid on my garage floor.

I called them, they said drive it slowly, about 20 miles, back to the dealer and they again said they could not find a leak. The next months, this was leak would come and go and again each time takng it back to the dealer. I voiced my concern over this telling them this was there problem!

It was about a year of going back and forth that a new assistant service manager found the defective transmission valve that needed replacing and the problem now seems to be solved. But more problems seem to pop up. Now I am getting the error messages and alarms and even a dead battery causing a wrecker to take my car to the dealer.

The drain on the battery, I am told was a dead battery, and I paid about $130.00 for a new battery Christmas a year ago. But again and again, I am finding my car with a dead battery and again a day lost and towing my car to the dealer. If my records are correct, the car as of today, has been towed to the dealer and it now has the 3rd battery (NC) in the car.

Monday I am dressed for work and a doctor appointment and it is dead AGAIN! Even with all the work they have done, and replacing batteries and checking all the electronic, it is dead a door nail. I am dring a new 2008 Taurus, my 6th or 8th rental over this car being in the dealership. One time they had the car 9 days and tomorrow will be the 5th day on this downtime!

Now they tell me, "Jeff, there has been an electrical-computer recall on all 2004/2005 Ford and Mercury automobile with the V6 24 valve engine". They have changed out and/or reprogrammed everything on board but want to check the car repeatedly each day that it will start and do they have the problem(s) solved.

They, my saleman, and service advisor, has called me repeatedly to let me know they are working on my car but keep the rental until they are sure it is NOW OK! Now can I trust this car to take vacation trips of 1,000 to 1,200 mile round trips into the Carolina mountains with they hanging over me.

I have the 1 to 2 inch file of all the receipts and checkups and wreckers and rentals and do I want them to NOW finally replace my thought dependable car?
Comments are welcome and I will post news as we speak.

Jeff the Knutt in the Ham (BirmingHAM), Al, USA