The Icemaker Queen

Saturday 3/31/2007

To my casual, but important reader. Where did Jeff come up with the title to this blog entry? Icemaker, like the kind you have in your freezer that works. The story goes is that mine, or ours, quit working.

I am tight! No I am stingy, when it comes to spending $180.00 for a Sears technician to come to my home and install something in 5 minutes and charge that much. I wanted to do this myself.

I came up with two options. I called Sears and the modular (motor) I needed was $75.00, plus about $10.00 to ship it. $85, and I know there has got to be a cheaper way. Wholesale part company in Pelham, call them and they can get the part for $52.00 but $12.50 UPS, so it is $77.00 delivered. So I am only about 10 bucks ahead of the game if I can put it in myself.

Two weeks later, they call me and the part is in. I watched the repairman do this once and it looked so easy. But after getting the part and spending two sessions of parts falling into the ice bend, I am wondering if I did the right thing.

Today enters the Icemaker Queen. Karen reads directions much better than I as well as scoring a whole lot higher on the mechanical skills part of life. So Karen decides to make one try at this after we have been buying bags of ice for almost 4 weeks now.

I missed one big important part of the directions as it is looking at the installation almost backwards as the design shown is from the inside of the freezer. She reads the directions properly, and I was amazed. It clicked right into place, the motor starts humming, the ice sensor moves as it is supposed to do, and I just heard the icemaker fill again after dumping the first load of 10 cubes into the ice bend.

Next time I need the oil changed, fix a broken radio, or record player, install a new television, it will not be me. I have a teenager's mind in my precious wife and she can do it. I have seen her do it and now we have ICE. Thanks to the Icemaker Queen!/jbn