Midgie at Brookwood Hospital, B'ham, AL

http://www.christie.nhs.uk/patientinfo/booklets/TextBooklets
/picc/picc.htm
************Original Message***********
November 6, 2006: 9:45pm

Dear friends and family,

Midgie is OK! But I am sitting in my living room trying to put into words 7
hours in Brookwood hospital. Someone said be brief, be brief Jeff. So let's
cut to the chase and start with the end.

Mom is now is a private room in the same unit. Her room is now #103. They
came and told me as soon as I got there that the lab test revealed a resistant
type bug that does not or has not responded to the medications they have given
her. And this is contagious! The culture came back "MRSA" which means they have to use more higher powers Rx to kill this pneumonia bug she has.

Her private room is now next to the nurses station and away from most of the
other residents. I also was told mom would need a PICC (Peipherial Intravenous
Central Catheter) line and they needed my signature to do this surgical
procedure. So I helped mom with lunch and dinner and she ate about 20% of her
lunch but almost 1/2 her dinner. They told me the procedure would be about 2:
30pm and I felt mom would be far more comfortable with me there. 5:00pm and no
procedure.

Shortly after mom finished dinner, the RN came and told me the techs were on the
way to put in the PICC line. Two young ladies came and I asked if they wanted
and/or needed me to stay. Once I explained mom situation, they encouraged me
to stay and help keeping her calm and to help make her understand what was
happening. I did!

Two hours later, mom now has a PICC line in her left arm. What was supposed to
take <1 hour took almost 2 hours. The difficulty was moms neck is narrow and
she has had neck/back surgeries that make rotation of her head and neck
somewhat restricted. They could get in the line in so far then it would stop
or not make the downward turn into the vein next to the heart. This is line is
necessary as the IV mom needs now would 'burn up' a vein in her arrm or hand
everyday and this makes resticking her to give her medication or fluids
unnecessary.

It was a long and trying day for mom but she came through with flying colors.
I guess one thing about dementia, she does not or will not remember this, but I
will. They ask me if I was squeamish or if the sign of blood bothered me? I
am a guy and do you think I am going to tell them YES.

Mom was fairly comfortable when I left shortly after 7:00 tonight. I told her
either I or Jack would be back tomorrow so she kissed me on the cheek and told
me good night. Randy Kesler (1st Pres., Bessemer) was there shortly after I got
there at noon and we had prayer together with mom. Thanks Randy!

I know I have left out a lot of things out but this has been a trying day. Keep
mom in your prayers and I will try to keep each abreast of any changes. Love
you all, and had so many email replies tonight. Mom may not really appreciate
them but we (I) do! Love,,,Son Jeff