My MOM: 5/17/2006

May 17, 2006, Wednesday afternoon

Dear friends and family,

Athter leathing thuh dentthist office yetherday, thisth is mee trrying to taalk to my Mithgie! I think I have been to the dentist more in the last 6 weeks than I have gone in the last 5 years. But that is another story, but just to let the reader this does 'colour' my writings and activities right now. When he numbs your upper mouth, your lips, nose, and cheek is numb and trying to talk right away is a challenge.

I got to Ashton Gables at about 2:15 and mom was sitting in a rocker in the living room. I was impressed! She was dressed in green slacks, white blouse, and a light weight white sweater over the blouse. She had on lipstick, earrings, and really looked GREAT!
I will send a copy of this update on mom to STEPHANIE PALMER, who is director at Ashton Gables. She gets fussed at when things go wrong, so you definitely like to tell them when things go well!

I gave mom a big hug and apologized for being away for a few days. I told her about our trip to NC and Shana's graduation from Catawbah College, getting her BS in BA after 9 years out of high school. The Nutter brothers split our care this last weekend, Jack had mom at his home for 3 or 4 hours Sunday and Karen and I spent our Saturday and Sunday am with her mom. Mrs. Brock, Vicki's mom missed the nice dinner, being a little under the weather, but talking to Jack Monday, Vicki and her mom were out to dinner together after her doctor appointment. So looks like all the mom's are OK right now.

I had several residence around me as they seem to enjoy my visit as I have learned just about everyone's first name. We were sitting with Gloria, Ethel (a new resident), Carole Ann, Eleanor, Mary (from the memory unit) and one or two other popped into the circle and listened for a while then went their merry way. It is nice to include these nice ladies and men in the conversation as it gives me more subjects to talk about. I told Carol Ann if she had ever been told she was 'pretty'! She blushed but answered 'yes'! I am bad, aren't I!

I don't know how much mom understands or remembers about my NC trip but the other residences listened intently and Jeff loves an audience. Mom was sitting in the living room on Palm Sunday and I ask the minister if I could talk to the residence. I told them about what Easter meant in Christiandom and HIS resurrection is the reason for the season. The minister let me talk for about 10 minutes and I really did not mean to do that! But where do you find a stopping point in talking about your risen Christ and what HE means to all of us. It was a nice experience and the present residences seem to enjoy my sermonette, if that is what you call it.

I helped mom to the bathroom once during my visit and she has no incontinence she had when first at Ashton Gables I blame on Meadowood for not seeing about her needs soon enough. Mom came back to the sofa this time when returning as someone got our rockers. They had the 2:30/3:00pm snack while I was there and I got mom a cup of fruit and a cold Ensure with fiber to add to the cookies she did like. She nor I care for the popcorn, but the other mom did OK with.

Mom complained about a bruise on her arm and I showed Linda and Leslie investigated this for me. It turned out mom had blood drawn to check her thyroid levels, as she has been somewhat sleepy after meals. But today she was bright as a new nickel and it was good to find out the reason for the bruise.

Fiona soon told me mom had a nice mother's day card and she had taped it to mom's mirrow. It was from my friends Evan and Amie in California, and it was a beautiful card, with long stem yellow flowers held by a small hand, and inside a note wishing "Jeff's mother, a Happy Mother's Day!" I though first about keeping the card, but decide to let mom have it to put in her purse and I watched her take it in and out of her purse repeatedly, looking at it each time as if for the first time! What a joy! Dementia is bad, but she is happy and her smile! I don't have the words!

After giving her the card and thanking Fiona for saving it for us, I slipped away like a thief in the night, watching mom over her shoulder (with her assigned RA), letting her know I was leaving. Linda ask if I could work today. I hope my 3 hours with mom and varied other residences and applied TLC met AG standards. Taking care of mom for almost 5 years gives me a heads up on that job! I hope all of you have enjoyed my rambling this am, and be assured, mom is OK and is where she needs to be. MORE News at 11:00!
Son Jeff