Midgie at Ashton Gables Feb. 1, 2006

February 3rd, 2006: Friday am

Dear family and friends,

Mom was in her room yesterday afternoon eating a snack and her TV was on one of the court TV shows like Judge Judy. She was dressed in a red blouse and black slacks and looked nice. She complained about not liking the snack as it was a chopped waldorf type salad but the fruit was not peeled and she did not like that.

I keep fruit snacks and either Boost or Ensure in her frig and I got her a Boost to replace this snack she did not like. She slurped it down, big time. If any taste bud is in place, it is her sweet tooth!

I helped her get one some of the new socks Karen bought her, black, and come up higher than the white socks she has. I tried her hard sole shoes on her but one of heels is still sore and she could not manage them.

I got her interested in going to the living room as I saw Fiona beginning some activity when I got there. Mom walked to the living room with NO assistance on my part, slow, but she got there on her own. I was there to catch or assist her if needed, which the resident assistance do for her.

I got two chairs out of the dining room and soon "we" were participating in Fiona's Groundhog Day, Valentines Day and Super Bowl and Presidents exercise. Oh, and questions about favorite dishes the residences like to fix (prepare) for their Valentine! Duck to Steak and Spagetti to casseroles was on someone's list. I had not had lunch and it made me hungry just listening to this.

I got to participate with mom filling in the gaps on some of the meals and activities in her life. I told the story about dad giving mom her diamond ring in a box of Bell Camp candy. They all laughed and thought it was a good way to give mom this gift. He had Bell Camp candy when it was in Birmingham to replace the diamond ring for one piece of candy and they resealed the box.

Mom was content and listened to some of the stories and funnies we all shared. But soon she was napping and it was dinner time. I did not wake her but got her RA to come and get her for dinner but let me get away first. Unfortunately she does not remember short term. Maybe for her now is a good thing.

Mom is happy, safe, and being looked after by professionals. Visits are welcome as well as cards and letters. Jack and I and Bobbie are in and out regularly to keep mom on track with family and be sure she is OK. Thanks to everyone for their prayers and email responses while she was in UAB West. Keep it up....

Love and Hugs,

Jeff and all the Nutter/Northcutt/Guyton families

PS. She is off the dementia drugs Aricept and Namenda as the side affects seem to overshadow the benefits. FYI/j



Jeff Nutter, Jr.
3281 Tyrol Road
Vestavia Hills, Al
35216-4268
(H)205.979.1898
(C)205.401.5731