Me and Mom Saturday 31st of December

Sunday January 1, 2005

Dear friends and family,

I did some driving early Saturday to check on her house, pick up her mail, and make sure everything was secure at 513 Alice Street. Everything was fine, and I needed turnip greens!

Turnip greens, blackeyed peas, ham, and homemade cornbread is mine and Karen fare for the 1st ringing in the New Year. I don't know if it is really lucky to do this, but I can tell you that it sure is good! Yumm!

4th Avenue Super Market in Bessemer is the best place in the world, yes the world, to find fresh turnip greens. $6.00/bunch is a little steepy in price but clean, cold, just beautiful. I got a paper takeout bag and the bunch was almost too large to fit in the bag. Now that is a bunch of turnip greens. Don't give me the canned version, I will just pass! I got my blackeyed peas, milk, and some other veggies and soon had a buggy full. I also got some individual servings of peaches, orange sections, apple sauce, and some devil food sandwiches mom loves so much.

Oh, I almost forgot! While at mom's I fixed me a pimento and cheese sandwich, and two more, one for mother, and one for Ms Judy, mom's friend at Meadowood where mom was in rehab for 7 weeks. After leaving the grocery store, I took Judy her sandwich and devil's food sandwich for dessert. She and I visited for about 30 minutes and she loved her PP sandwich and devils food sandwich. I told her I would probably be back again real soon. A good visit.

I got home, dropped off our groceries, then headed toward Ashton Gables and mom. She was in her room going through her mail and cards and just loves that. We do need to get her picture albums repaired so she can show off her family. She has one small album, but I am negligent in getting the old one I have back to her. Project Uno! I got all the individual servings mentioned earlier in her frig and went back and told Donna, the RN, at the nursing station about these items. I also took mom's old Rx to Ashton Gables and they will get these Rx to the Medicine Chest and use them for mom, a savings.

Mom and I soon went up to the dining room and they had made ham salad sandwiches and cookies and I got her a glass of milk to go with her snack. We visited with the ladies in the dining room and I am getting to know many of them by their first name, a must for mom to fit in. Mom is slow to make friends now and somehow has lost that in her repretore(sp.). She used to never meet a stranger but now has a hard time remembering who folks are.

After the snack and visit we went back to 137 and visited a while and it was soon 4:30pm and Jeff needed to head home. She understands IF I tell her I am coming back tomorrow. I cannot lie, and Yes mom I will be back tomorrow afternoon. What time? About 1:30pm, is that OK. I love you son! That is worth everything, just to hear her say that one more time! I love you guys too! Send mom a card, visit if you can, and see ya later! Love you son, Jeff!