Midgie's 91st Birthday and Ashton Gables

December 10, 2005

Dear family and friends,

Yesterday was a busy day at Ashton Gables and a young lady named Mildred Nutter. I got there in the early afternoon after spending the morning wrapping the big box her birthday present was in. Now how big is a box that has a comforter, two pillow shams, two pillow cases, one fitted and one top sheet and a full skirt for her full size bed. The box is THIS big!

Karen was getting ready for work and I suggested the color comic papers from the Sunday paper as wrapping for the big, no great size box. It was decided by yours truly that this one be one outstanding birthday present if I could pull it off. Fortunately in my putting paper in the recyle bin, I had saved the last 3 weeks inserts that included the funnies. I taped and taped and taped, making sheets to around the side and covering the top and bottom with double sheets. It worked and looks spiffy if I say so myself.

I got myself a bite of lunch and put the box in the back seat of the car and got to Ashton Gables about 2:45pm. Mom was in her room, had eaten just about an hour before and she and I visited in her room for a while before soon the door opened and there was Jack and Vicki. They had fixed one of Ashleigh's jewelry boxes with all of mom's necklaces, earrings, pins, all neatly placed in the jewelry box for our mom.

I called Karen and she would try to get off early and she was there about 4:45 and I met her on the parking lot to get our present as I wanted mom to open it while all of us were there. She loved the HUGE box, first reading the card and I then helped her tear off the funny paper wrapping paper. Vicki said the color was GREAT and told Jack and I to take Midgie to the living room while she and Karen put the new comforter on the bed and with the new pillows we did not wrap but had hidden in her closet, snuck in at a prior time.

Midgie was really impressed and Jack took pictures and hopefully he will get these forwarded so we can all enjoy her new apartment. It was soon 5:30pm and the RA (resident assistant) came to get mom for her dinner. When she took mom away, this was our clue to leave. We left with mom sitting with Lou, her suite mate, and two other residents. Mom forgets real quick about who and when we are there so it is easy to leave but don't tell her goodbye, just leave.

Us Nutter's all had dinner together with Jack and I picking up Chinese. Jamie and Brock had left Mitchell with them for the evening so we all got a chance to hold him and love this chunk of boy. He is just beautiful, but what Nutter baby is not? We had a long evening and Midgie's birthday was wonderful. Visit and enjoy her and our handywork....Jack/Jeff/Vicki/Karen