Midgie Thursday Dec. 29, 2005

Thursday December 29, 2005

Dear friends and family,

Ashton Gables is so easy to get to from Hoover or Birmingham. Have I given you directions, I think not.

First is to tell you Birmingham is surrounded by an interstate system that completely circles the city making Hoover and Riverchase very easy to get to. I459 runs right past Hoover and if you know where exit 13 and the Galleria is, you are there. After taking the exit 13, head south on US31, like going to Pelham. When you cross the intersection of AL150 and US31 at the Galleria, start counting lights to 5. At the 5th light, turn left on Parkway Lake Circle. The BIG sign is over US31S so you can't miss it. After turning left, drive to the top of the hill and ABC Broadcasting is on your right, now take the next right. You are there! Her room number is 137 and all the RAs (Resident Assistants) know mom, so just ask! She will be glad to see you.

I saw Jack Nutter here yesterday and he had seen mom earlier and taken her for a drive in his van. He said she did fine and enjoyed the outing. I got to Ashton Gables about 4:00pm and mom and I sat in the big living room and talked and met some new people. I met Jack and Vicki's friend Maria Teague, who is a friend of a friend, Mike and Betty Walton. Maria's mom is there and she introduced her to us, a nice lady.

Mom and I stayed in the LR whereas most of the folks had left for the dining room area. But the RA told us they were early and she would come and get mom when the food arrived from dietary. So we got a pretty long visit as they came for us about 5:30pm and I walked mom to the dinning room and introduced her to the 3 folks already sitting there. Unfortuantely about dementia, re-introducing the folks to each other is a normal routine as some remember who is who, but some do not and this is again all new again.

I paid for next months rent for mom and don't ask how much! It would be embarressing to me to ask for that much money each month from each of these residence. But the care in great, the food is great, mom's health and safety are foremost in their minds 24/7 so that is why they charge what they do. I guess it is like college expenses, as I paid $65.00/semester back in 1955 and now it is in the 1,000s per semester. Jason's tuition to Vandy was $4,250 per semester back in 1985 and now it is over $32,000 per. So I guess I will get me a tent when I need this kind of care! I hope you know I am writing this with tongue in cheek!

All in all, mom was having a great day and remembered her trip with Jack and was alert and responsive. I told her I would be back today and she wanted to know what time, and would I be early or late? I told her to split the difference and make it 1:30pm and she said "Now that would be nice". She kissed this son goodbye as her dinner was just being served. "Now that's all folks!"