(Ring) Midgie at Meadowood Sunday November 6, 2005

Sunday morning November 6, 2005

Ring...Ring....! I was up at about 5:45am Sunday morning and it was now about 7:10 and the phone rings. Karen is sleeping and I am rushing around to find a handset ringing somewhere? It is Jack Nutter and Meadowood has called this morning. Midgie has fallen and hit her head!

Bottom line: At about 7:00am, it appeared she tried to get a drink of water from the large thermos on her bedside and spilled this all over her. She then went over the rails or got out at the foot of the bed and fell. She hit her head and I am going to assume someone heard this or Judy called the nursing station. She has a knot on top of her head and a gash about 1-1/2 inches long. It does not appear to be deep enough to require stitches.

They assured Jack she was OK and she appeared non the worse for the wear. Jack said it did not require a run to Bessemer like it did when her Lifeline would go off where she had pressed her alert around her neck and Jack and I would make the run in the early am hours. Jack said he would go after SS as he goes to early service at St. Marks and can be out there early. I have Ms Rebecca going in to sit with mom at 9:30/10:00 am so everything should be OK?

I plan to go to SS and Church and a luncheon for our new minister after telling Jack and Meadowood my cell phone is on "vibrate" and to call me if any changes. I feel really bad doing this (in a way) but Jack's assurance that she was OK and his going early was my key.

My morning was a fly by the seat of my britches now getting to SS and Church on time and calling all the brothers and sisters to make sure everyone knows about our mom or sister and her fall. I talk to Jimmy, Sherry, and Bobbie but could only leave a message with Kathy in Mobile for Enoch. But I get to SS about 15 minutes late after talking to my Gardner connection, Jim and Goldie in Cullman who had called earlier asking about mom.

Goldie and I had a nice talk on the way to SS and we really ran over our allotted time but that was OK under these conditions. SS and Church was great, and I really needed that. Mom or her situation now, has caused some feelings of loss or failure on my part but I have been assured by all concerned that this is not the case. But now she has been in Meadowood 3 weeks to the day and she takes a bad spill.

I get to the hospital about 1:30 pm and let Jack go home. Yes, she has a bad gash but it is not bleeding. I get a blow by blow description from Ms Julia Speigner, her room mate and also from the RN on the 7-3 shift. Jack (and I) had requested an alarm and/or higher bed rails as mom had gotten out of bed once before or once we know of. This had not happen?

I am going to Bessemer this Monday morning or that is my plan. Ms Rebecca called me last night and mom had scratched her head and the wound bled again and they had to come clean it up and put something on it. While at Meadowood Sunday I went to mom's house where Peggy had done laundry Saturday night and I dried this and took this back to Meadowood. I made fresh chicken salad for Ms Rebecca to make sandwiched for mom and Judy's snack Monday. I needed to carry this laundry back to Meadowood as this and the two quarts of milk I bought for mom was too much for Ms Rebecca to carry. What time did I finish Sunday,,,,5:00pm straight up!

So goes the saga of Midgie at Meadowood. I drive home and fill the car with gas and it is ready for my treks out monday morning. I hope my family finds my rambling at least informing about Midgie and what it takes to keep her happy and content for right now. She was not content Sunday as it was take me Home, now! She cannot walk or stand erect for any time but does not understand this. It takes some selling on all our part to make her understand she has to be where she is for NOW.

I will let you all know as I know more. This saves a few phone calls and playing phone tag with some.

Have a good day....

Son Jeff, dad, nephew Jeff and A.K.A. grandpa Jeff