Midgie Sunday Nov. 13, 2005

Midgie at Meadowood but with a Twist. A little humor, please!

Sunday was a busy day, a very busy day the Lord called Sunday, our day of rest. I think it is called that because by 5:00 or 6:00 pm, you are exhausted and your are out on the sofa or your recliner! This was that kind of day. Why do I tell you all this up front rather than telling you about Midgie at the get go? Well...that is me and that is the way the story IS! You take care of mom for 4 1/2 years at 513, I realized how blessed I have been in being able to do this. So begins my day

Yawn, yawn, stretch, reach for my glasses if I can remember where I put them. Ah, and the clock says 6:15 A. M., time to make coffee! I have a little time to read the paper and get Karen up before heading for the shower and shaving to dress for SS and Church. But I did, and the new minister Randy Kesler is a moving speaker. He has been here one month and you can see the congregation growing. I was so pleased to see new faces, new couples, and people who had been away for a time. Apparently the news is out.

After Church, I go by the grocery store to pick up 2 or 3 things I missed for mom just a few days ago. Kleenex, snacks, pimento and cheese, and stuff for Peggy or Ms Rebecca to make a snack for mom and Ms Judia. They enjoy the chicken salad I make or the pimento and cheese sandwiches in the afternoon between lunch and supper.

Jack calls me just as I am leaving 513 after putting the few groceries away and paying mom's bills. I have cancelled most services and turning off the phone and cable today. I hope to get the house expenses down to basic utilities and insurance. Jack wanted to know if mom's walker was at the hospital? They initially told me not to bring her walker and to take her cane home as they did not want her walking anywhere without assistance.

Mom, Jack, and Ms Rebecca were in the recreational area when I got there and mom had on her new golden clip on earrings she won at bingo. Ms Julia was there and she too got a box of powder mom won with the luckiest card of the night Saturday. WoW. Mom looked good but still has to use a wheel chair to go anywhere? Jack and I tried her in a chair and she is OK standing but cannot raise nor lower herself safely or with any degree of stability. This they are working on in her P/T each day.

Jack and I had talked on the phone and have looked at some other possibilities about where mom should be after December 1st. We both decided to go together this afternoon to the Oaks at Park and see Chris Blackerby, the director. We did after a short stop at 513 to put on some laundry. Chris met us and we went through the dementia unit called "The Orchard". This is a circular unit, with 34 apartments, studio, mid-size and the larger corner units. They do not have a vacancy right now but we are on the list now for mom if that is what we decide on. Both Galleria Oaks and The Oaks at Parkwood have sent an RN to assess mom and she will fit in their respective dementia units. I was please with both and I think mom would be happier at this location than the one she is currently in. But...she has to get stronger so she can get up on a walker or her cane, this is a must. If not, she will have to stay at Meadowood? We have about 16 days until the next family meeting November 30th.

Keep mom in your prayers and include all the caregivers. Mom is not unhappy yet she is that when we have to leave. But that is only temporary as she cannot remember we have been there. Oh...Glenn Northcutt called my cell phone Saturday while I was there and he got to speak to Midgie. A good and timely call, thanks Glenn! She has gotten cards from friends, family and the Church and also two from my friends Amie Barrett and Evan Jones in California. The cards are so unique, as they MADE the cards with all the graphics supplied by Amie. Thanks you guys for sending your cards to my MIDGIE! Jeff