Midgie at Meadowood Thurs./Fri. Nov. 10,11, 2005

November 11, 2005

Dear family and friends,

I have some time and some news on Midgie this morning. Let me tell you what happen Sunday and again Monday so you understand what happen. We were sitting in the recreation area and mom had ask about going home. I ask her if she could stand and walk and of course she said yes. But she could not nor could she lift her own weight out of the chair onto the walker. I challenged her both Sunday and Monday afternoon.

I worked all day Tuesday and Wednesday I was there only a short time with doctor appointment and work taking up most of my day. It is now Friday morning, and yesterday was different for mom.

I had most of my business behind me by 11:00am so I was in Bessemer about lunch. I had talked to Bobbie and called her as I got into Bessemer and had lunch with her in the UAB West Cafeteria. I even paid for her lunch. Jeff are you the big spender or not? Bobbie had her yearly physical with Dr. Portante, just I had had the day before. But I hit a lucky day and was in and out in a timely manner. But Bobbie’s day was a very busy day and it was after 1:00pm when she got out and that was with a 10:00am appointment. Uggg!

We ate and talked about Midgie and she had planned to see Dr. Autry about a sore shoulder but her time now was running short. I had Peggy with mom and I had called to let them know I would be after 2:00pm getting there. I was suppose to have a meeting with Ashley Barnes, mom’s 7-3 RN and go over mom’s chart with her as to her progress. They had a called staff meeting at Meadowood and this did not happen. Mom had finished her lunch when I got there and we visited and talked for a time until Mary Palmer came to the door and knocked. She is the head nurse of the dementia unit at “The Oaks at Parkwood”. Jack Nutter had stopped and talked to Mr. Chris Blackerby, the executive director and he had Mary come out to Meadowood to assess mom and to see if mom fit into their program and care.

Mary and mom needed some private time so Peggy and Julia went to the recreation area to give us some quiet time. She questioned mom about many current things and events and mother did know some and some she did not. But Mary admitted being in the rehab center for 4 weeks can confuse anyone about some things. The end results was mother would fit into the dementia unit at “The Oaks”. I gave her my card and she said she would turn in the report on mom and Jack would call me about possible plans.

Friday afternoon, November 11, Jack called in the pm and yes, mom would fit into the dementia unit at “The Oaks at Parkwood”. Jack and I talked about other options for mom including other facilities like Meadowood to even skilled nursing care at home at 513. We have until the meeting November 30th, and then we will see how strong mom is and can she walk with a great degree of confidence.

I did see mom walk a little on her walker just as Mary Palmer got there. But mom has a problem getting up and cannot lower herself into her chair or sofa with confidence. She has lost some lower back strength and hopefully with the P/T she is getting, this will improve. News at 11:00.

Midgie’s address is 820 Golf Course Road, Room 403A, Bessemer, Alabama 35022. My cell is 205.401.5731 and I have voice mail on my phone. Send her some cards as she loves mail. Thanks and love to all. /Jeff

Jeff, dad, uncle Jeff and A.K.A. Grandpa Jeff