Xanax and Mom and Neurology

Don't give my mother Xanax, or not the .5 mg dose that is 2x the strength of the prescription she has at home. Mother is in Medical Center West in Bessemer and has now been since Monday and now this is the 5th day. The neurological event and unsteadiness she has is still with her but there scans and reports so far are coming back "unremarkable", meaning no disease or clot, everything looks normal. Tuesday night she did not sleep, and was fitful all night and they gave her a .5 Xanax early am and she slept all day. They could not wake her for PT or test or even meals? She was given this a second time Wednesday night since she did not sleep the night before.

I was in Demopolis and my brother Jack was there in the pm and I had Peggy Lewis sitting with her Wednesday am and back in the afternoon filling in for me. They saw this first hand, up front and personal and Jack was beside himself about them giving this to her. Dr. Portante had prescibed the .25 mg Xanax to give to her PRN. This means when she is restless and is anxious, I give her one or two a week, sometimes none. So, you see how giving her 2x or twice the prescription size twice in 24 hours has her zonked out for a time. Thursday she was so drowsy even when Dr. Portante was there, it was hard to make a diagnosis since she is this way. He has an MRI scheduled Friday 10/14/2005.

But the brain is a funny duck when it comes to knowing all that is going on? My neurologist told me once, "We know so much about the brain and are learning more and more everyday. But knowing all about the brain, Jeff we are really in the dark ages. There is so, so much we don't know, and can only test for normalcy or test for normalcy. You can have something as small as a pin point in the wrong place and it will not show up on any test we can give you. But you will have neurological problems due to this 'pin point' bruise or scar that just by chance happen to be in the wrong place. You can sometimes have huge damage to the brain and it be in a 'silent' part of the brain, and this huge trauma will never bother you." This was a quote from a very famous neurologist here in Birmingham, Dr. Robert G. Ford.

Let me tell you about my experience with Dr. Ford. Unfortunately he is now retired but he would appreciate my sharing some of my life experience in his 40 years of practicing here. The was a 'fellow' from Mayo Clinic! A 'fellow' is someone who after finishing Med school, has finished his specialty, has finished his residency, then decides, if accepted' to go to school and work an additional 54 months at Mayo Clinic in Neurology. The diploma is about 4 x 6, has one signature and one small gold seal. It is the least impressive diploma on the wall in his office, but speaks volumes of what it means to the recipient, Dr. Robert G. Ford.

Today is Friday 10/14/2005 and we have now got to think about some additional care facility for 20 days. Dr. Portante said her balance and 'mental loss' due to this event (?), the RN, and PT are all of the same mind as she needs a more structured care for a time to see how far back she can come from this possible brain trauma she has had.

I went by Meadowood, a Beverly Heathcare facility to the right side and behind the hospital. It is not home, but it is what mom needs right now. I talked to Michael Vickers, executive director, and he told me what they could do for mom, a really intensive type of PT and activities that will find out how far she can progress. I went through the PT department, met one of the PTs, went through the dining hall, and looked at the kitchen and up stairs and saw a semi private room which is all they have available right now. Again, it is not home, more like a dorm room with a single bed on both sides.

I talked to Bobbie last night and Jack late pm, and I think this is will be where mom will be maybe early next week. Keep her and all the Nutter and Northcutt extended families in your prayers. Keep her caregivers, doctors and nurses in your prayers. Most of all, keep me and Jack in your prayers during this very hard time for us emotionally to do the best we can for our mother. I cried last night finally giving in to my emotions that I have had to wall up for mom and for you, my extended family and friends. Karen said she saw it coming and it was not pretty. But I could not keep it inside anymore! I am OK now as HE is with me and I trust in Him to guide me! Love, Jeff