Mom at Meadowood 10/21/2005

It is Friday night 10/21/2005, and I did a run to Bessemer this afternoon after completing some tasks here in Birmingham I had put off for a time. I called Peggy Lewis this am and she was going in about 12:30pm and stay through mom's dinner. Peggy has been good as right now I don't know what I would do without her.

I went to the bank, T-Mobile, got a haircut, went to SMD in downtown Birmingham to get a new face piece for my C-pap machine. I then realized I had not eaten anything all day, only drank Orange Gatorade to regain some lost energy. I ate a late lunch with Gus Koutralikis and Kathy at Pete's Famous Hot Dogs. Two hot dog specials, a bag of chips, and a Coke really taste good about 2:30pm. It had been months since I had seen these friends and I had forgotten what a Pete's Famous Hot Dog taste like! Wow, it really hit the spot!

I drove to Bessemer and went by 513 Alice Street and got her mail and bills and news papers to carry to Meadowood. I had some of mom's clean pajamas and her checkbook to pay Peggy and Ms. Rebecca and her bills. She had 4 cards from mostly folks at the Church. If you sent a card to the hospital, it does not look like they forwarded them at all?

Mom was in her room and she and Judy and Peggy were watching TV. Mom and I went for a walk on her walker to show me how some of her strength had returned. I would guess about 300 feet total and really that is the length of a football field, so that is good for almost 91. We visited for a while out in the recreation area and I got her a full thermos of cold water which she seems to enjoy. Peggy said she is eating good and not complaining about the food like she did at 513. Peggy said later that mom generally cleans her plate and that is so, so good! I tried to not stay too long as mom now does not want to cooperate with the staff and with Peggy when I am there. She is eating better period.

I stayed until about 5:30pm when her dinner came and I called Karen that I was on my way home. I had only one thing disturb me, and that is they are losing pieces of her pajamas when I have told them not to do her laundry. They have lost 2 pieces, one each of two pieces of nice pajamas. Peggy and I have both made inquiries about this but so far to now avail. Peggy plans to check the laundry for the missing pieces and I am calling Michael Saturday morning and need him to know of my disappointment with this. This seems petty but I only have 6 pair of pajamas there and now it is down to 4 sets. I can't have 2 pair here being washed and she have one on and only one back up? News on this later.

She seems to be improving and is definitely stronger and more alert than when I found her at home unable to get out her chair or walk at all just about 2 weeks ago. She still has some way to come, and the doctor has warned me about her progress plateauing at some point less than where she was at home. We will just keep on keeping on and pray she continues to get stronger and get close to the Midgie you and I know.

Jeff made it today. I tell everyone else to not look at the big picture but handle one day at a time, but I cannot take my own advice! Keep mom in your prayers and send her a card to Meadowood. She loved the ones I took her today. Bedtime! I'm outta here!/j