Midgie and Her New Hairbrush!

I did not go to see mom Saturday but talked to the center early Saturday morning and she was up and eating her breakfast. I talked to Peggy about 1:00pm and I could hear in the background the television and talking and mom was doing fine, dressed, had her bath, and was ready to get going doing something.

She said they had a church group in the center and they sang and entertained the 4th floor in the recreation area. Peggy said they have BINGO on Saturday night and mother, Judy, her room mate, and Peggy were going to go and play BINGO. This was on Midgie's activity list to get physical and mental activity in gear and to find out what mom can comprehend where maybe card games, bingo, numbers, and understanding and acting on the rules of games. It may sound a little juvenile to you and me but we need to find out at what level of mental function we can get her to in her recovery.

Peggy and I both have T-Mobile cell phones and fortunately this is a no charge call when she calls me or I call her and we are sharing reports about mother. Our phone rang about 4:00 pm, and she had mother on her cell phone. "Hello, this is Mildred! Hi mom, this Jeff, how are you? I am fine, and I have won a new hairbrush! How did you win it mom? Peggy was in the background and prompted mom to say she won it at Bingo. Mother handed the phone to Peggy and she said mom did fine playing Bingo and when the last game ended she lacked only one block on her board of blacking out the board and winning another prize". WoW!

We are keeping Peggy and Ms Rebecca coming to the nursing home to keep a familiar face in front of mom and to assist in her care. Yes, it is expensive but I told Jack Nutter and Bobbie, "I am spending our inheritance!" Each told me that was fine and we want mom happy, safe, and doing the best she can in recovering from this event that got her in the hospital and now Meadowood, the health and rehab facility.

Write mom at Meadowood, 820 Golf Course Road, Bessemer, Al 35022, room 403A. I took her 4 cards Friday afternoon and she had gotten two or three while in UAB West. She so enjoys looking at the scenes and tries to read the cards. We have to explain some of them as many new people at church are writing her and I have to explain who they are. I got a very personal, hand written card from Mountain Top Church here in Vestavia. I am on their email list and I had ask them to put Midgie on their prayer list. What a nice card, personal, written in caligraphy, and both sides. A very timely card I got in Saturday's mail. I am taking it to mom to add to her card pile!

Karen and I plan to go to SS and Church today to hear Randy Kesler's first sermon at 1st Presbyterian in Bessemer, Alabama. Randy has been to see mom and me at the hospital and at Meadowood. He was there at UAB West monday am, his first day officially on the job at 1st Presbyterian. His visit and prayer was most needed and mother really enjoyed his visit. I think we have found a good minister and shepard for 1st Presbyterian. Good Works preceded his first sermon!

I will write something this afternoon about mom as time permits. Sunday am is quiet time at Jeff and Karen's home and it gives me time to tell you about Midgie, my mom, and I will continue as He permits....jeff