Fasten Your Seatbelt

I preface this post with something that happen to me sometime back flying out of Atlanta to Baltimore. This is years back when jets were just coming into play in the commercial airplanes and this one had 4 jet turbo props. I remember it was a Delta flight and the craft was new and sleek and filled with about 80 or 90 souls.

We took off with no problems, the engines whining getting us up and away as planned. I was looking out the window as I was sitting on the wing, and shortly after take off, I see smoke coming out of the far outboard engine. It is still going strong but it does not look good to me. I told my stewardess, now called flight attendant, and she ran toward the cockpit! When you see the flight attendant running, it is time to fasten your seat belt.

It was seconds after I noticed the black smoke that the engine caught fire and suddenly started to run wild. The seat belt announcement came on immediately and at that moment, a white cloud of smoke enveloped the engine as they feathered the engine and the jets of fire retardant encompassed it, starving the fire of fuel and oxygen. The announcement came on and the pilot is now telling everyone what happen and that the plane is designed to run on 3 engines and even 2 engines and could stay aloft.

The announcement assured us the fire was under control but we would have to return to Atlanta after burning off excess fuel. The other 3 engines are now at close to 100% and whining in my ears and I am now wondering how long they can take these high rpms? But we made it after what seemed like forever and since I am writing this, we walked away from the plane. I think pilots call any landing you can walk away from a 'good landing' but that day, I had my doubts!

Why am I telling you this harrowing story in my life this morning. I is maybe I am that aircraft today, only running on 3 of 4 engines and like it, I am having to lighten the load to come to a safe landing. Mother has required an immense amount of my time and effort these last 2 weeks getting her into the hospital and now Meadowood where she is now. I had been fighting migraine headaches and a change of medication(s) from Dr. Swillie, my neuro doc, and this too has been like working in a dreamlike state.

Caring for mom, and in a dreamlike state? Did anyone get the tag number of that truck that hit me? Dr. Portante saw the truck coming last Friday and sent me home from the hospital. Dr. Fortmeyer saw the truck Saturday morning when I saw him, and he said get out of the road, you are about to get run over! I am still not listening and I see my Dr. Swillie Wednesday, day before yesterday, and he said 'the truck hit you but it didn't kill you'!!! Or at least you are not dead yet! I am going on adrenalin and endorphines and I drive to Bessemer and soon Peggy is running me out of mom's room, go home, you are out on your feet.

I have hit the wall, the physical and emotional wall that hits you sometimes when emergencies require so much of you and you find that strength and endurance to do what is necessary. But like anything you run wide open for an extended time, something gives, something breaks, and it is like a dream, where someone is chasing you and you are in slow motion. That is me right now. I have taken one day off and hope to work in a few more to feel like myself again. I write you this as if I talk to you, I have, right now, a problem completing my sentences and my thoughts are all over the place.

I have slept, pretty much off and on all day Thursday. I slept Thursday night and did not roll over during the night. I am doing very little today and letting Peggy and the hospital do their jobs and I really need to turn my phone(s) off. I am here writing you this morning, as like the story that prefaced this, I did walk away from the 'almost' crash. Dr. Portante said it best Sunday afternoon, "You have been a good son, but it is time to let someone else take care of your mom for a while!" She needs more than you can give! I love you all, now let me dress, as it is about time to get out of here.....Jeff