Changing Someone's Day! Chap.II

Karen and I were leaving my mom's Saturday and we had not eaten lunch. I suggested the Cracker Barrel near Bessemer off I/20, I/59. We were talking about mom as we drove but just as we passed under the interstate, there stood a guy on the median across from the light, with a sign! He was out there holding up an announcement about the Winn Dixie stores closing here in Alabama.

Karen and I spoke almost at the same time. We passed by this man and there was an empty water bottle, and it was over 90 degrees outside. We drove past our turn and made our way to the Shop a Snack at the next intersection.

I had some a 2 packs of Cheese crackers I had in the trunk and Karen went in and got a big cup of ice, a large cold bottle of water, and she too, had some snack crackers. We drove back down to where he was standing and I lowered my window and whistled at him to get his attention. He looked my way as I held the cup of ice out the window.

The guy came over to the car and took all this from us thanking us for thinking about him. As Karen and I drove down to make a U turn to get to cracker barrel, I ask her if she noticed anything special about this guy working like this, where it was so, so very hot and so few would ever do this? The Cross around his neck, and both of us spoke at the same time!

I hope we made little change in his day and made it a little more comfortable. When we made the U turn, he was already taking a big drink out of that cup of cold water. I wonder how long he was there without water in this 90 degree plus weather. There was no car and someone had dropped him off there and did they not know he needed this? I wonder?