Bessemer High School Grand Reunion

Bessemer High School closed in 1970. The building was built in 1923 but it out grew the facility and so Bessemer built a new high school, Jesse Lanier High School, named after it 'living' mayor? I was fortunate enough to graduate from BHS in 1955 and we have now a "Grand Reunion" of all BHS Class about every 5 years.

Last night was a nice event and Karen and I got to meet a lot of members we had not seen in some years and years. The tables had groups of classes and we each signed the book indicating who all was there. But the fact our class of 1955 had our 50th last weekend and the fact this was the 4th of July weekend, many were on vacation.

The classes maybe 3 or 4 years on each side of our class were all friends. I had friends I remembered from 1948 and 1952 that graduated with my Aunt Barbara (Northcutt) Guyton and Uncle Jim Northcutt. I had friends with my first wife's class of 1962 and they welcomed me and Karen with big hugs and kisses. Roy Harper, my first cousin, graduated in 1958 and many of his friends he played sports with were great to see and talk to.

It was good to share family news and finding out about each other after all these years. I had made 20 personal business cards with my email on it and shared these with those that wanted to be included in a group of BHS members that I share news with from time to time.

We had announcements, recognition of a few teachers, heavy hors deorves (never an spell that) and sitting and/or dancing to the dance band and then disc jock who provided the music of the 40's and 50's and 60's that was great to dance to. Karen and I danced some but not as much as some who really will be sore today...LOL. They forget they are in their late 50's to early 80's and their 17 year old minds was writing a check the body will have a hard time cashing.

Good 4th of July each one. I took my brother a copy of the BHS Grand Reunion book last night and in putting it in his mail box about 11:00pm, the lights came on and his son Brock came out and talked to us about the reunion. Have a happy 4th everyone and drive safely....Jeff