Jeff $200.00: Plumber "ZIP"

I have decided I have a head on my shoulders and two hands just like my plumber. That said, I decided to take on some fixture upgrades in the main bathroom and I did it myself. It was not easy and you don't always have the right tool in your tool box, but with one trip to a neighbors house and one trip to the hardware store, I am home free.

If you ever think about taking on anything that has the name 'tile bath' in front on it, you had better be ready for some w.o.r.k. The hall bath has a tile shower and tub and the cold water faucet has dripped for a time and Jeff got tired of this. I made arrangements for someone to take care of mom that morning as I knew this was going to take a while.

The first thing to remember is that when the fixture was put in, a tile man came behind the plumber with no regard to the fact that someone one day would have to change the gaskets and reseal this. I take off the chrome covers and all that is sticking out is the stem with all the base covered with hard grout. I had borrowed a tool that fits this base but the grout will not allow me to get to it. I have a small chisel in my tool box and it is a slow tedious process of digging this out to expose the base so the tool can reach in and I can remove the whole stem. One was bad and other one was worse!

I would guess it was 2 hours and I finally get the second one out. I also have the tool to reach in and remove the seat so the new valve and stem will make a good seal. I had searched out my local hardware store the day before and took these pieces down to his store with confidence he would have the replacements. It did not happen.

I looked at the side of the base and there was the PP on the side. That stands for Price Phister. I make it to Home Depot and a confident young lady helped me find the right replacement. I also bought the tube of sealant to close the threads and 2 small tubs of plumbers putty to make the finished job waterproof.

I get back home and get one in with no problem. The second one took a little more grout removal to get this at the right angle to go in cleanly. I then went to the street and turned my water back on and bingo, nothing leaked. I operated all the vales and they turn off and on with little to no effort and with the new valves and seats they are quiet and effortless.

I then opened the tub of plumbers putty and closed this opening so no water will leak in from the shower overhead. I removed all the old grout and putty around the spout and all the fixtures before replacing the chrome covers and the PP handles. It looks great and it has now been about a week and no problems. I took about 4 hours with the trips to the hardware store(s) and digging the old grout out. You can only guess as to what Jack the Plumber would have charge me for that time. I would guess somewhere around $200.00 and that may be low. Now let me got take that shower!