Ford Program Car, Demo.

I have been retired for 2 years and back working part time for about the same time. I have been driving a 1991 Olds when mom had to give up driving. It had performed well but now at 108,000 miles, it is beginning to have some stress problems of being driven everyday. That said...

I have not shopped for a car and I cannot remember when. I had a company car for some part of 40 years so really had no need to buy a car except for my wife or my children. Me, I really do not, or did not know how!

I have looked at some of the Nippon cars but this 6'3" frame and 205 lbs is really not comfortable in these smaller cars. I have been looking at the Ford Taurus hoping to find a one owner, low mileage year old one where someone has taken that first years big depreciation.

There are 2 dealers close to me and I have looked and ridden but none felt like me until I drove a 2004 SES a week back. It had everything you would want in a car, nice, clean, 18,100 miles and was driven by two Ford exec in Lansing, MI and one in the Southern Region. It was in the Atlanta private Ford auction to dealers back several months ago and was bought by Town and Country Ford in Bessemer, Alabama.

It is spotless. It has no scuff marks, no dents, nothing to indicate he or she ever hauled anything in the trunk and it was obviously kept in a garage. I went over the car with a fine tooth comb trying for over 30 minutes to find any wear and tear. I could find none, nata, zip.

This car qualified for Ford's CPO program or Certified Program Cars with not only the remaining 36,000 miles but another 3 years and 75,000 miles. I don't know how much the CPO cost compared to one that does not meet these 115 point inspection qualifications. According to J. D. Powers and Kelly Blue Book this can be "perceived" as anywhere from $1,500 to $3,000. But is it worth that to me? I found a like car without this, that did not meet the CPO certification and there is a difference. They "appear" minor to me but what else was wrong with the car that it did not meet CPO certification. I can only guess.

My task now is to find out how bad the dealer wants to sell this car, the one I like and willing to drive for 3 or 4 years. We have almost come to a deal with his coming down $1,000 from his original quote. Remember cars depreciate weekly now and how does he need that space to put another car. We bargained. I am going this am with my last offer and I may be the owner of a new or new to me 2004 Taurus SES. Karen and I are going together as she ask some questions last night I did not have the answer to. Wish us luck....Jeff

Blogger Evan Jones

We're hoping that your lack of follow-up on this post is due to the fact that you are too busy driving around the countryside in your new-to-you car to write about it.