Every Caregivers Is Sick But ME!

When the 9 1/2 hours was over and I was driving home from mom's last night, I called brother to give him an update with our mom. "Bro Jack, this is Bro Jeff, how are you?" "Fine, just got in from a golf tournament, been there all day and I am worn out!" "Whazup?"

I told him both Peggy and Ms Rebecca had terrible colds and Peggy was running fever and I told her to stay home away from mom. And since I was there and had taken care of breakfast, beauty shop, bank, bills, fixed her lunch, I was staying the evening. This was bound to happen sooner or later and we have to be prepared for it. Luckily, I had my Zeigler business taken care of and had my radio with me as well as my brief case and laptop and could if necessary do work from mom's house. Good show!

It was a long, really a long 9 1/2 hours as mom had only one speed and that is slow and slower. She has some Repetitive Motion Syndrome which makes it doubly hard for her to dress and get ready to go somewhere. But if you help her and uncomplicate her life and take the decision away from her, then she will move forward. Don't dare put two outfits out for her to wear and expect her to chose. She will never get dressed and you can forget about making an appointment.

But...she was sweet as ever, really an easy person to help and assist and really seems to appreciate your being there. She loves me like the little kid I was once in her eyes and maybe I still am? I read about Terri Schivo's passing and it brought the thoughts of my mom to me big time. She has some dementia that has taken away first long term memory and now short term. But she remembers the NOW. And if you are there to help her and love her, you too will share the now with her.

I don't know how many nows she has left and each day is precious to me. The family that stays away is missing out on a gem, a treasure, and it is like the story, "It is under the front step!" You cannot see it or hear it for all the complications in your life and you keep out the good and sweet things that would make your life fuller in every way. Find that special person in this world, right next to, that needs only a hand up, an encouraging word, a little support, and you, you will be the greater recipient of a great gift! Try it, you might like it!/Jeff