My 1991 Oldsmobile, Humbling Event

I inherited this car from my mom when she had to give up driving and it only had 51,000 miles on it when I got it. The only way to get any worth out this car was to use it as a 14 year old car does not have much resell or trade value.

I is nice to drive, everything works, has power windows, door looks, remotes, nice radio and upholstery and carpet is almost mint. It has the 3.3 V6 engine and gets 26/27 mpg in mixed driving here in town and has gotten 36 mpg on interstate trips. I am trying now at 105,000 on it, what to do, what to do.

The car is a clean one owner, and still looks mint with only a place or two where the gray paint has faded. I drive it mostly back and forth to my mom's 25 miles away almost everyday to take care of her and get her day off to good start. Now that I have prefaced my story about the car, let me tell you about yesterday.

I call on a warehouse for my company and drive my 14 year old car and park in the salesmen's parking lot provided. Humbling when you park next to new Camreys, Chevys and Fords of all varieties. I am getting into my car yesterday when the BRYAN salesman arrives in his 4 door, 4 wheel drive, off road, Z71, brand new 2500 heavy duty Chevy Pickup with tires up to here!

He gets out of his truck in his hunting green slacks, browning shirt, and tan leather jacket and carrying a $500.00 Coach briefcase. He greets me and say's "HI" then reaches into the cold box on the back of his pickup truck and out with a BRYAN syrofoam box filled with (I am sure) a big variety of products for the the 3 meat buyers. He even has someone with him, a younger guy, to carry this huge box of samples for him. What is wrong with picture when he sees me climb into my 14 year old car. He just smiles!

I am not unhappy, just glad to see someone is apparently quite successful in this business. Oh, it would be nice to have a nice new(er) car but really it is only transportation. I try to rationalize buying a new car at times, but when I get down to the car payment part, I realize how good my 1991 Olds runs and gets me there everyday.

These are just my thoughts this morning and thought I would share them with you. Now were is today's paper with the new car ads? Jeff Nutter, Jr.

Blogger Evan Jones

It sounds to me like the BRYAN salesman lacked only a big diamond pinky ring and a thick gold chain around his neck. It’s just like you to be happy for him, though. If you asked him what he valued most in his life, I’ll bet the Z-71 would be right up there near the top. On the other hand, I know from reading your posts that if you sat down to list the same things in your life, you’d have to force yourself to remember something so inconsequential as a big truck or an expensive briefcase. Stick with the Oldsmobile, that's my advice.

Your somewhat neglectful friend,

Evan Jones