Writing A Friend In Prison

His name is John. I worked with John for years and then in the news one day 2 years ago, there is a news flash where a man is killed, and there is my friend John arrested at the scene. I live in another town in the state some 100 miles away but talked to friends of John about what happen.

It appears John and his estranged wife were having an argument when he was returning their children and there was a boy friend of hers at her apartment. They had words, both had been drinking, and a shot rang out and the boy friend was killed. That really is all I know as John pleaded guilty to a lesser charge agreeing to plead guilty to a manslaughter charge. He is now in prison here in the state and serving up to 20 years. He is eligible for parole in 10-12 years or less with good behavior.

Now you know how John got there! I hac never written anyone or known anyone in prison and can only imagine how bad it may be. I began writing John over a year ago and one night my phone rang. "Jeff, this is John!" I took the collect call, not expensive, but they limit them to 10 minutes. We talked like he was down at the 7/11 down the street and asking for directions. I was so pleased and relieved to hear his voice.

I am sure the calls are monitored and all we talked about was mutual friends and others that had ask me about John. He told me he was a Bible Study 3 times a week and goes to Church on Wednesday and Sunday. He said his belief and His strength is getting him through this. I told John to please feel free to call me anytime and he gave me a new mailing address. We parted and I felt great knowing my letters meant something to him during these tough times.

I wrote the warden and ask about what things I could send John that were within prison rules. I was cautioned not to send anything with metal in the mail. Not even a paper clip or staple. I have sent John stationery, stamps, a 2004 calendar and recently a 2005 one. It is hard sometimes finding things that have no metal, so the calendar had plastic rings at the top.

I have a 3 ring folder and have all of John's letters filed away. He told me several times in his letters over the last year or so "Jeff, things were not as they appeared. One day when we can talk face to face I will tell you!" I know everyone says prisons are filled with innocent people. But there was or is somethings in John's letters that are so heartfilled that I am sure there are things he CANNOT say in a letter.

I try to write John a letter every week or 10 days so he knows someone out here is thinking about him and his welfare. I was in the service 4 years and anytime away from home, letters are just so, so welcome about news from home. It is hard to make myself do this sometimes, but I know how much the letters are appreciated by a lonesone soul. "John, I will write you again today!...that is a promise!"...Jeff

Blogger Jeff N,

The mail came yesterday and Karen picked it up at the mailbox when she came in from work. She sorted the personal mail from the ads and came into my office here at home.

"Darling, let me give you something that 'might' make your day." It was our first Christmas card this year and the first thing you notice is the stamp across the front. "This correspondence is forwarded from an Alabama State Prison..."

I looked at Karen and there was the return address of my friend John who is in prison for 20 years and he sends me a Christmas card! There written inside in John's own hand was "When we confess our sins to God, we're washed as white as snow. He will send us out again, his Love and Grace to show". Wishing the Nutter family a Merry, Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year" (signed) John.

He had told me in earlier correspondence he had found his Savior in prison and I thought you, the reader, might find this as moving as Karen and I did. "Merry Christmas John!"...(Jeff)  

Blogger Unknown

moved indeed. i found this blog while looking for things to send my friend who is currently incarcerated and this story made me well up a bit. god bless you all and John. Tell him there are more people than just yourselves that believe there is much more to his story. and that people he doesn't know are so happy that he has joined us in our pursuit of God's love. God loves and forgives him as do many others. Take care