Scambled Eggs and Toast

Yumm! I was starving not having had breakfast yesterday Saturday. Mom is 90 and a cereal person but that is not always my fare to start the day! "Mom, how about a hot breakfast...scambled eggs, toast, OJ, and coffee?" No, she said, "I'd rather have my cereal, juice, and coffee. Augg!

I am fixing breakfast and she wants cereal! I would rather suck on the box! "Mom, you need a good hot breakfast on this rainy blustery day...and so good for YOU!" "OK!"

I fixed (prepared) hers and my breakfast, 5 scrambled eggs with a dash of milk, and buttered toast and the kitchen soon was smelling just great! She had gotten up and now was in the kitchen watching me cook for her.

I never know how mom is going to eat but sometimes it is difficult to get her to eat enough. I split the eggs between us, really giving her the lion's share of the 5 eggs. I placed the hot buttered toast on her plate and with a dash of delicious grape jelly. She and I said our blessing and she started. At first she picked around on the eggs, like there was something wrong with them. I had lightly salted the eggs and just a dash of pepper.

The scrambled eggs and toast were delicious to me and I was soon through. She began eating with a little more gusto and soon was asking for another hot cup of coffee. Then she had eaten almost all her toast and I buttered two more pieces and gave her one and another helping of grape jelly. She was eating now like a soldier coming in off of field maneuvers. WoW!

"Jeff, will you get me another cup of coffee to finish my meal". Before it was over, she had eaten almost 3 eggs, 3 pieces of toast, a glass of orange juice, and 3 cups of coffee. I was so pleased I had insisted on the scambled eggs and toast. She soon was dressed and we sat on her deck and talked and I wrote a few checks to pay her bills.

What a good breakfast to start the day for her. I feel so great when I find something she likes and don't have to worry about her nutition for my part of the day....Scambled eggs and toast like she prepared for me when I was growing up too many years ago around the same table in the same breakfast room...A good life experience and one I will remember....