November 29th Karen's Birthday!!

The Monday after Thanksgiving and it is my sweet wife's birthday. Let me tell you about shopping for the birthday presents. First, it was that virtual catalog we get in the mail and there is that teal, 3 piece, satin lined outfit. Now that is an easy one for one husband to get that charge card out, find their website, type in all the stuff they ask, and Fedex left her present last Friday morning. No fighting the mobs at the mall, let your fingers do the walking through the 'wish book'. And she gets or will get exactly what she wants.

Are we too old for surprises? Never! Wednesday before Thanksgiving, real early, we were having her Honda serviced at Sears and there we were, with time on our hand, and the mall was open at 8:00am. I took my sweetheart up the escalator in Sears to the appliance division for a look around. But there is method in my madness!!!?? Me...No!

Karen makes cookies! Now I don't mean just a few, she makes 'huge' batches, multiple 'huge' batches of cookies of various flavors and these are part of her holiday giving. Now, I look more closely, and she is doing this with a hand mixer (having burned out the windings in the table top Mixmaster!)

We are wandering around in the appliance department when I pick up a box and take it to the cash register! She soon notices my actions and curiousity got the best of her. "What have you bought?" (as she turns the box around to read the label). Kitchenaid Classic table top mixer, blender, everything. WoW! I have always wanted one of these but never felt like we could afford one! Afford? What is wrong with $219.00/now $199.00 and with a $30.00 gift card and a $10.00 rebate! Now that is down to $159.00. But when I get the receipt, the cost is down to $129.00. It is "ON SALE" at $169.00, the day before Thanksgiving 7-11 am Sale. Now I said "WOW".

Many batches of cookies later, it is Monday morning and I have been treated to ginger cookies, and ice box cookies and several batches of each. We have cookies for gifts, take to the office, snack anytime, and homemade no less. The house smelled so great and the Kitchenaid never breathed hard, no matter how thick the batter was. It walked though the thickest dough like a hot knife through butter. Hum!

Happy Birthday Karen. She has opened her cards this morning and we are having coffee and cookies together almost as we speak. Have a wonderful week from the Nutter family in Birmingham, Al, in the good old USA.